Richard D. Wood, Jr. and the Wood Family
Across generations, the Wood family has played a role in the birth and evolution of one of the world’s greatest pediatric hospitals.
From 1855 to 1955, the partnership of members of the Wood family and Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia yielded many pioneering innovations, including the establishment of the first Department for the Prevention of Disease, as well as the discovery of vaccines for whooping cough, influenza and mumps.
In 1950, Richard D. Wood, Sr. joined CHOP’s Board of Managers as a director. In 1963, he was appointed the hospital’s first full-time president, a role he held until 1972, when he returned to the board as chair. Among other accomplishments, Wood led the massive project to move CHOP from South Philadelphia to University City. He returned to the board as a director in 1972 and was named emeritus in 1992.
A Catalyst for Growth
Richard D. Wood, Jr. served on the CHOP Board of Trustees from 1989 to 2005. During his tenure, the Center for Fetal Diagnosis and Treatment was opened. For many years, Wood served as chairman of the program book for the Carousel Ball. Contributions from Wawa and Mr. and Mrs. Richard D. Wood, Jr. established the Wawa Endowed Chair in International Adoption at CHOP, and the Richard D. Wood, Jr. and Jeanette A. Wood Endowed Chair in Pediatric Diagnostic Medicine ensuring the future of a health program dedicated to helping new families succeed.
Richard D. Wood, Jr. and the Wood family have helped shape, grow and transform CHOP, and have left an indelible impression on the children and families we are privileged to serve.